-->

New Jersey Crumb Coffee Cake

Post a Comment
This recipe for New Jersey Crumb Coffee Cake makes an incredibly moist cake with an extra thick cinnamon, sugar & butter crumb topping – just like you find in New Jersey bakeries.

Growing up in n New Jersey, I grew up on cakes like Entenmann’s Crumb Coffee Cake (an all-time favorite of mine) and Crumb buns from the local bakery.

I have a weakness for anything with a crumb topping. On Sunday mornings, my parents always had fresh crumb cake and donuts from the bakery.  The best was when it would still be warm!

Food can really remind you of home, but Crumb Cake isn’t known in England so I haven’t had it in years.  This blog is inspiring me to try to recreate my most loved foods from back home and the good news is – this Jersey Girl can bake!



This is my version of the Entenmann’s cake. Creating this recipe took me several attempts.  Before now, it never turned out quite right, but I have finally perfected it and I am more than happy to post it for all of you.

The base is lovely and moist and I created a really thick crispy crumb topping (I have waited years for that topping).  It’s so thick that for some it may be a little too thick.

Ingredients
For the topping:

  • 1½ cups brown sugar packed
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2½ sticks butter melted (plus more if needed)
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup powdered sugar for dusting

For the cake:

  • 2½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1½ sticks butter softened
  • 1½ cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1¼ Cups Buttermilk
  • 1½ Teaspoons Vanilla
  • Cups - Metric

Instructions
For the topping:

  1. Mix both sugars, cinnamon, and salt in medium mixing bowl. Add the warm melted butter and stir to blend.
  2. Add flour and mix with a fork until moist clumps form. Squeeze a handful of the topping into your hand, if it doesn't clump together, add some more melted butter until it does. Set aside.
  3. .............................................

for full recipes please see : www.errenskitchen.com

Related Posts

Post a Comment

Subscribe Our Newsletter